Terms of Reference Neighbourhood Planning Sub Committee
Through the last two years discussion has taken place about developing a Neighbourhood Plan for the communities of Hythe, Dibden and Dibden Purlieu. It is intended that this process will enable communities to actively influence land use and development, and improvements to infrastructure as part of the planning processes. The Parish Council believe that Neighbourhood Planning provides an opportunity to shape future development in the area whilst safeguarding and enhancing what is valued by the community.
In January 2016 the Parish Council received agreement for the proposed Neighbourhood Plan to cover the area contained within the whole of the Parish Council boundary and in February 2016 the Council agreed to the formation of a sub committee to act as an ‘engine room’ for the Neighbourhood Plan process.
The sub committee’s purpose is to design, implement and oversee two action plans:
These two action plans when delivered will produce the Neighbourhood Development Plan that will then progress to Independent Examination and a successful community referendum. Ultimately the Plan will be adopted by New Forest District Council to sit alongside the Local Plan developed by that authority.
· That the sub committee will undertake the process in a democratic, transparent and fair fashion, allowing opinions and ideas to be put forward by all.
· That the sub committee will give or encourage those who live in the parish or operate a business in the parish the opportunity to inform and shape the process e.g. through taking part in the consultation and development process.
· That the sub committee will make this a positive and constructive process.
4. Tasks and Activities of the sub committee
· Work with the Parish Council and ensure that the Council is fully informed throughout the process, with appropriate decisions referred to them when applicable;
· All key decisions must be recommended by the sub committee and agreed by the Parish Council;
· Prepare a project plan, with milestones, to set out how the sub committee will undertake the process of developing a Neighbourhood Plan;
· Prepare a communication, engagement and capacity building plan that aims to encourage engagement in the process;
· Meet regularly to agree actions and discuss issues that arise, in order that the process is dealt with in an efficient and timely manner;
· Gather baseline information;
· Establish and understand the needs of residents and businesses, and what the long term vision or aspiration is;
· Decide upon and, if required, set up sub-groups (or theme groups) to gather statistics, information and views. All sub-groups to be agreed by the full sub committee;
· Liaise with all stakeholders throughout the development of the Plan;
· Consult as widely and thoroughly as is possible to ensure that the draft and final Plan is representative of the views that have been collected;
· Analyse the available information to prepare the draft and final Plan;
· Produce notes/minutes from sub committee meetings and publish these and any relevant reports and data on the Parish Council Neighbourhood Planning webpage
· Set up a process of timely updates to the community and stakeholders
· Actively publicise the draft Plan prior to the Referendum;
· Agree financial arrangements and budget with the Parish Council.
5. Membership of sub committee
· The sub committee shall consist of no less than 12 representatives:
· Members must reside or operate a business/organisation in the Parish Council area;
· The sub committeeshall be quorate when at least half of the members attend;
· Parish Council or other council/agency officers or Councillors, as well as other agencies appointed by the Council to support the process cannot be voting members of the sub committee but are able to attend meetings and contribute to the discussions as required.
6. Roles within sub committee
The sub committee shall elect a Chairman and Vice Chairman. If neither are able to attend a meeting then a temporary Chairman (selected from the sub committee members) will be elected for that meeting.
The Clerk to the Parish Council will provide administration to the sub committee.
7. Sub Committee Meeting Arrangements
· The sub committee (and sub or theme groups) shall meet regularly and as necessary;
· The public can observe the meeting and speak at the Chairman’s discretion;
· Recommendations from theme groups will be relayed back to the full sub committee for ratification and/or information;
· From time to time other stakeholders or interested parties may be invited to attend a specific sub committee (or theme group meeting) to give a presentation and/or discuss their interest in the proposed Plan;
· A list of sub committee members and contact details shall be maintained.
· Details of, and any changes to, the sub committee membership will need to be notified to, and agreed by the Parish Council.
8. Finance and resource management
· Finance and resources required by the sub committee will be made available by the Parish Council for specific uses
· Expenditure to be agreed by majority decision by the sub committee.
· Finance decisions will be recorded in the minutes and must not result in an overspend on funds allocated
9. Changes to the Terms of Reference
Any amendments to the terms of reference may be identified by the sub committee and will be considered and agreed by the Parish Council.
The Terms of Reference was adopted by Hythe and Dibden Parish Council on the 23rd March 2016