Agenda and draft minutes

Venue: Mayor's Parlour

Contact: Email: dtc@tenterdentowncouncil.gov.uk 

Items
No. Item

1.

PRESENT.

Minutes:

Members:  Sarah Barber (ABC), Mike Bartlett (TDCC), Mike Carter (Local Businessman), Shaun Dewey (Kent & East Sussex Railway), Pierre Edmunds (London Beach Hotel/Savannah Trust), Sue Ferguson (MyTenterden), Rod Hardingham (Little Dane Court B&B), Tash Mahoney (Christmas in Tenterden), Cllr. Justin Nelson (TTC), Simon Robinson (TDCC), Cllr. Alan Sugden (TTC), Glenn Thompson (Footballers & Local Businessman) and Seren Welch (Tourism Consultant).  Claire Gilbert (TTC) took the minutes.

 

Non-members:  Phil Burgess (Town Clerk), Cllr. Mrs. Jean Curteis (TTC – Town Mayor), Andrew Keates (Resident), David Kemp (Little Silver Hotel/ABC).

 

2.

APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.

Minutes:

Cllrs. Ken Muholland and Mrs. Pam Smith.

 

3.

MINUTES.

To consider and, if approved, confirm the minutes and report of the meeting held on 12th March 2019 and the notes from the informal meeting on 5th November 2019 as correct records.

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 12th March 2019 and the notes from the informal meeting on 5th November 2019 were agreed.

 

4.

ELECTION OF NON-COUNCIL MEMBERS.

To confirm non-Council membership of the Sub-committee and welcome new members.

Minutes:

 

The election of non-Council members were as follows:

 

Sarah Barber (ABC)

Mike Bartlett (TDCC)

Mike Carter (Local Businessman)

Shaun Dewey (Kent & East Sussex Railway)

Pierre Edmunds (London Beach Hotel/Savannah Trust)

Sue Ferguson (MyTenterden)

Rod Hardingham (Little Dane Court B&B)

Tash Mahoney (Christmas in Tenterden)

Simon Robinson (TDCC)

Glenn Thompson (Footballers & Local Businessman)

Seren Welch (Tourism Consultant).

 

In order for the non-Council members to have voting rights within the Sub-committee, they were asked to sign and accept the Town Council’s Code of Conduct.  These were duly signed, with the exception of one.

 

The Town Mayor, Cllr. Mrs. Jean Curteis was in attendance at the meeting as an observer as was Andrew Keates (resident).

 

 

5.

ELECTION OF CHAIR.

Minutes:

 

Seren Welch agreed to be Chair of the Sub-committee until the new Council year in May 2020.

6.

DESTINATION MANAGEMENT PLAN. pdf icon PDF 795 KB

To review the action list from the Destination Management Plan. *

Minutes:

 

Seren Welch went through the action list from the Destination Management Plan; some tasks had been superseded due to already having been delivered. Some key points were noted as follows.

 

·         The Tenterden map was redesigned with a 10,000 print run.

 

·         The current content on the Visit Ashford & Tenterden website has been updated with ABC. For 2020, the digital content will be looked at to ensure it is date relevant and in line with growth trends in the tourism sector.

 

·         Looking at events and aligning to national destination promotions – for Christmas in Tenterden, there were three main tour operators bringing in visitors to the Event and it was suggested that all events/tourist attractions could be included in a six month blog plan.  It was also discussed that there are 22 vineyards around Kent with Chilham coming online soon.  Tenterden should be promoted as being with ‘x’ distance from these tourist attractions.

Action:  that Sub-committee members recommend blog posts from their industry sector.   Please can all Sub-committee members submit content suggestions by 27th January 2020 to Claire Gilbert.

 

·         Service Level Agreement between TTC and ABC – this still needs to be actioned to bring clarity on Tenterden and Ashford Tourism Teams.

Action:  Sarah Barber to lead on draft SLA content.

 

·         Tenterden’s Tourist Information Centre – review potential venues, i.e. St. Mildred’s Church, museum.  Issue with Town Hall not being open at weekends. 

Action:  Chair to liaise with museum and St. Mildred’s re fixed into Point.

 

·         Rod Hardingham suggested looking at a ‘brand’ for Tenterden; Seren  reported that we need to make more of Tenterden’s location.   David Kemp reported that we need 2/3 things to keep people here, particularly if targeting overnight stays.

 

·         Seren reported that ABC now have interreg funding to support development of experiential tourism product.  Sarah Barber reported that it is a four year programme led by Norfolk County Council with 15 different partners.  They are looking at increasing overnight stays and has Visit Kent and Kent as AONBA. Seren asked whether Tenterden could hold a workshop to improve products?  Need to get word out for people that the four year funding programme is there.

Action:  Claire Gilbert to contact Sarah Barber for comms summary on Interreg  that can be circulated to Committee members.

 

·         Events in the town – it is important to make sure there are no clashes of events, i.e. an event in Tenterden clashing with an event in Rye for example.  It was also suggested that maybe Tenterden promotes itself via regional programmes, e.g.:

-      Kent’s Big Weekend;

-      English Tourism Week - it was suggested looking at what we could do around English wine week in May;

-      National Gardening Week - utilise this with the two gardens: Great Dixter and Sissinghurst Castle & Gardens.   There needs to be a ‘date related hook’.

Action: Glenn agreed to start the Town Event clash diary and Seren suggested looking at what’s happening in a 20 mile radius, not just the Tenterden area. 

 

Actions:  Shaun Dewey reported that  ...  view the full minutes text for item 6.

7.

TOWN CENTRE MANAGER POSITION. pdf icon PDF 377 KB

To review the draft job description. *

Minutes:

 

The circulated draft job description had been circulated with the agenda.  Phil Burgess suggested that if the Sub-committee could not agree on a job description, then the project should be launched on a project basis and review it.  Phil had spoken to Jo Wynn-Carter, Retail & Branding Consultant, and it had been suggested that the Town Council take her on for one day per fortnight to oversee a more junior person in the role of Town Centre Manager.  The role will need refining as time progresses.  Seren commented that a contract would need to be for a minimum of 12 months in order for realistic targets to be set.

 

It was agreed that the current draft job description needed to be focussed on key outputs that were:

 

(i)           Achieveable within the 12 month time frame;

(ii)         Had clear KPIs (Key Performance Indicators).

 

Seren reported that the action list from the Destination Management Plan should in part inform the job description; it should also be a 12 month contract rather than a job description.

 

Action:  It was agreed that two/three members try to meet w/c 20th January to refine a contractual agreement.  Seren, Rod, Mike Bartlett, Sarah, Phil, Simon and Shaun agreed to take part.  Phil will liaise with members direct on possible dates.

 

8.

HIGH STREET HEALTH CHECK. pdf icon PDF 414 KB

To consider carrying out a High Street Health Check. *

Additional documents:

Minutes:

 

Cllr. Justin Nelson had presented a proposal and follow up paper to the External Committee back in June 2019 regarding carrying out a High Street Health Check.  This was referred to the Tourism & Business Sub-committee for consideration.  Shaun felt that this exercise was not a good use of money, which would cost in the region of £5,000.

 

Seren recommended that Jo Wynn-Carter is invited for a meeting and this could be a joint meeting regarding the High Street Health Check and the Town Centre Manager contract.  It was suggested that Jo is sent a copy of the DMP.  Mike Bartlett reported that the Chamber is willing to contribute financially towards the health check.  It was agreed that the percentage breakdown of tourism and high street would need to be decided.

 

9.

ANY OTHER BUSINESS.

Minutes:

 

Mike Carter asked that the High Street Regeneration Working Group is set up as the High Street needs sorting before Tent1b is built.  Pierre, Andrew, Mike Carter, Alan and Justin agreed to join the working group and would meet on Monday, 20th January 2020.

 

 

10.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING.

To be confirmed.

Minutes:

 

The next meeting will take place on Tuesday, 25th February 2020 at 5.30 pm in the Assembly Room.  It was agreed that top line discussions from the working groups will be circulated in advance.